Transportation/Bus Driver Services
Policy and Fee Changes Effective September 1, 2018I hope you are having an exciting school year! Please review the information below and make a note of the following changes to policy and fees regarding transportation certification classes.
District “Holds” on Training Classes
One of the perks that we offer school districts that host a bus driver training class is the option to “hold” (or restrict) registrations to participants from the hosting district unless the district notifies us to open up any unused seats for other outside participants. Many school districts contact ESC Region 11 on a daily basis asking to enroll a driver in one of the restricted eight-hour or 20-hour bus safety classes. We politely inform them that seats in those classes are being held by the hosting district, and that we will let them know if any of those seats are released. Unfortunately, we are experiencing situations where a hosting district does not release the unfilled seats (or releases them too late), and we do not have a full roster of registered drivers for the session. If seats go unfilled, drivers across the region lose an opportunity to be certified/recertified. ESC Region 11 trains hundreds of drivers throughout the summer months, and we believe that every driver is valuable and should have an opportunity to attend and occupy a vacant seat.
In order to address this concern while still honoring the priority status of our hosting districts, we are implementing a new “hold” policy. Beginning August 1, 2017, districts requesting a bus driving class (eight-hour recertification or 20-hour certification) must release all unfilled seats at least 10 (10) working days prior to the start date of the class or agree to pay the registration fees for all class seats (35).
Registration Fee Changes – Beginning September 1, 2018, the registration fee for an eight-hour recertification class will be $70 per person. The registration fee for a 20-hour certification class will be $130 per person. This $5 increase per class will allow us to cover our expenses and continue to provide you with quality trainers who will help prepare your drivers to operate your fleet.
Thank you for your continued partnership with ESC Region 11. We look forward to great things in 2018-2019!Other potential fees: Walk-in $25 (driver not preregistered) Make-up $30As always, districts requesting to host a class guarantee a minimum of twenty (20) participants. If that minimum is not reached, the requesting district is responsible to pay for the remaining seats.
Education Service Center Region 11 provides a variety of services to school transportation departments. ESC Region 11 establishes and maintains a database of school bus driver certification records, files reports, and assists school districts in maintaining strict compliance with the provisions described in all applicable statutes, rules, and requirements pertaining to the operation of the student transportation system.
The transportation of pupils to and from school is an integral part of a sound educational program. Competent school bus drivers are needed to provide safe and effective transportation for students. These training courses are designed to promote competency of school bus drivers throughout the state. School Bus Driver Safety Education Certification Training is a state-mandated program providing twenty (20) hours of certification training to all school bus drivers and an eight (8) hour re-certification training to drivers every three years.
Training is provided for new and experienced bus drivers. Also, specialized training is provided to assist transportation staff in student behavior management and other related areas.
For questions concerning our Bus Driver Drug and Alcohol Testing Cooperative, please feel free to contact Peggy DeMoss.
Texas Department of Public Safety
- School Bus Driver Training - Register for Training
- The twenty-hour certification course for new bus drivers provides state-mandated training. Drivers completing this course will be certified to operate school buses in Texas. The cost for this training is $130.00.
- The eight-hour refresher course costs $70.00 per person and meets state requirements to maintain bus driver certification.
- Customized training in student management issues for transportation staff
- Customized training in the School Bus Watch anti-terrorism program for transportation staff
- Customized training in the Operation Lifesaver program for all age groups. In an effort to reduce / eliminate train and light rail collisions with vehicles and pedestrians, these presentations increase awareness of the dangers on and around trains and railroad tracks
- Technical assistance for transportation personnel with the Texas Association for Pupil Transportation Certification program.
- Technical assistance for transportation directors, supervisors and trainers
CDL Testing RequirementsSchool bus drivers must obtain a CDL license to drive a school bus in Texas. Below are documents to assist with areas that will be tested by the Department of Public Safety.The following You Tube Videos may assist new drivers with their pre-trip (under the hood) inspection:
- The Nebraska Department Of Motor Vehicles School Bus Vehicle Inspection Video: CDL SCHOOL BUS VEHICLE INSPECTION 2016 Under the hood inspection begins at 18:50
- WASHINGTON STATE CDL SCHOOL BUS PRE-TRIP INSPECTION Video Under the hood inspection begins at 17:50