What is a Charter School?
A charter school is a type of public school. Charter schools provide education through a "charter," which is a type of contract granted by a chartering entity such as the commissioner of education, State Board of Education (SBOE), or the board of trustees of an independent school district.
Charter Home - Purpose and Definition
In 1995, the Texas Education Code established a new type of public school, known as a charter school. Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools with the idea of ensuring fiscal and academic accountability without undue regulation of instructional methods or pedagogical innovation. Like school districts, charter schools are monitored and accredited by the state.
According to the Texas Education Code, the purposes of charter schools are to:
- improve student learning;
- increase the choice of learning opportunities within the public school system;
- create professional opportunities that will attract new teachers to the public school system;
- establish a new form of accountability for public schools; and
- encourage different and innovative learning methods.
Charter School Personnel: Are you seeking quality candidates? Do you want to save time and money while still recruiting for your open positions? Do you desire to be fully staffed as soon as possible?
Educator Candidates: Are you seeking employment in a charter school for this next school year? Do you like smaller learning communities with inviting, school cultures? Are you ready to make meaningful connections without leaving the comfort of your home?
If you answered these with “YES!”, we have an exciting announcement for you:
You are invited to participate in ESC Region 11’s Charter Exclusive Virtual Job Fair on June 12th at 9:00 a.m.! It is FREE and held on a Saturday! Registration for all participants is required. So, gather your interview team, pollish up your resume and register HERE now!
For more information, please contact Jackie Fagan at firstname.lastname@example.org or (817) 740 – 3691.
Charter leaders asked for a listing of trainings that target their staff's specific needs and, as a result, ESC Region 11 has proudly delivered!
HERE you will find a collection of advertised conferences and workshops for June and July. Additionally, we have taken the liberty to include a few of the top sessions offered in those two months.
Here’s how to get signed up: Scan the listing for conferences, workshops, and/or sessions in which you are interested, and then go to our Professional Learning Page (search by name in the search bar) to register for all your choices! It’s that simple!!
Join us as we bring together the best teaching, leading, and supporting strategies to meet the needs of ALL educational personnel.
Included in the schedule will be a special session created just for charter school personnel, titled "Prioritizing Excellence in Charter Schools: A Cursory Look and Program Update for Charter School Leadership!" which will analyze the newest challenges that are impacting charter schools and afford partipants the opportunity to collaborate and network for best practices to resolve and thrive.
This conference and extended two-week asynchronous learning opportunity is FREE for participants from districts that have purchased the Instructional Solutions and Support Contract and school leaders engaged/opting-in forinterventions; $100 per person from all other districts.
Connect! Network! Learn! - Newsletter
Get all your charter school information in the Smore link below! Find professional development opportunities, charter school meetings, guides to statutory trainings, and future plans for servicing charter schools - all provided by ESC Region 11 staff.
Charter Schools Newsletter LINK!
Upcoming Events for 2020-2021
In addition to the events listed below, please check out our new and convenient Charter School Summer Professional Development flyer for even more opportunities to learn and grow!
- May 18 - TEA/ESC Charter Contact TETN Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- May 19 - TEA Charter School Superintendent Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- May 20 - TPCSA Webinar: 10 Principles for Effective Tutoring at 9:00a.m.
- May 27 - TPCSA Webinar: STAAR Report Card Data Drive at 9:00 a.m.
- May 31 - Memorial Day Holiday (ESC Closed)
- June 10 - ESC Region 11 INSIGHT Instructional Advisory Meeting at 9:00 a.m.
- June 12 - ESC Region 11 Charter Job Fair "Virtual" 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- June 14 - TPCSA Webinar: One-Day Online Teacher Institute to Improve STAAR results and 2022 Texas A-F Acccountability System Ratings at 8:30 a.m.
- June 16 - Charter Schools Advisory Board meeting at 9:00 a.m. TENTATIVE
- June 16 - TEA Charter School Superintendent Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- June 20 - National Charter School Conference
- June 29 - July 1 - TEA Charter School Summer Summit TENTATIVE
- July 5 - Independence Day Observation (ESC Closed)
- October 27 – 29 - 2021 Texas Charter Schools Conference at Hilton Anatole in Dallas, TX Registration NOW OPEN!