What is a Charter School?
A charter school is a type of public school. Charter schools provide education through a "charter," which is a type of contract granted by a chartering entity such as the commissioner of education, State Board of Education (SBOE), or the board of trustees of an independent school district.
Charter Home - Purpose and Definition
In 1995, the Texas Education Code established a new type of public school, known as a charter school. Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools with the idea of ensuring fiscal and academic accountability without undue regulation of instructional methods or pedagogical innovation. Like school districts, charter schools are monitored and accredited by the state.
According to the Texas Education Code, the purposes of charter schools are to:
- improve student learning;
- increase the choice of learning opportunities within the public school system;
- create professional opportunities that will attract new teachers to the public school system;
- establish a new form of accountability for public schools; and
- encourage different and innovative learning methods.
Connect! Network! Learn! - Newsletter
Get all your charter school information in the Smore link below! Find professional development opportunities, charter school meetings, guides to statutory trainings, and future plans for servicing charter schools - all provided by ESC Region 11 staff.
Charter Schools Newsletter LINK!
Charter leaders asked for a listing of trainings that target their staff's specific needs and, as a result, ESC Region 11 has proudly delivered!
HERE you will find a collection of advertised conferences and workshops for June and July. Additionally, we have taken the liberty to include a few of the top sessions offered in those two months.
Here’s how to get signed up: Scan the listing for conferences, workshops, and/or sessions in which you are interested, and then go to our Professional Learning Page (search by name in the search bar) to register for all your choices! It’s that simple!!
Join us as we bring together the best teaching, leading, and supporting strategies to meet the needs of ALL educational personnel.
Included in the schedule will be a special session created just for charter school personnel, titled "Prioritizing Excellence in Charter Schools: A Cursory Look and Program Update for Charter School Leadership!" which will analyze the newest challenges that are impacting charter schools and afford participants the opportunity to collaborate and network for best practices to resolve and thrive.
This conference and extended two-week asynchronous learning opportunity are FREE for participants from districts that have purchased the Instructional Solutions and Support Contract and school leaders engaged/opting-in for interventions; $100 per person from all other districts.
theNetwork Charter School Summer Summit
Virtual & Free for all Charter School Staff
June 29 & June 30, 2021
Upcoming Events & Deadlines for 2020-2021
In addition to the events and deadlines listed below, please check out our new and convenient Charter School Summer Professional Development flyer for even more opportunities to learn and grow!
- July 26 - Prioritizing Excellence Conference
- July 29 - RF Tracker submission due date for LEAs
- August 5 - Data Equity - Training session by Texas Public Charter Schools Association
- August 11 - Connecting, Collaborating, and Capturing! - Results-Driven Accountability, State Performance Plan Indicators, and Data-Driven Decision Making for students with disabilities.
- August 11 - HB 4545 Overview and Tips - Training session by Texas Public Charter Schools Association
- August 26 - PEIMS Extended Year first submission due date for LEAs (if applicable)
- August 31 - CTE Leadership Academy - Come Grow with Me This session provides a Career and Technical Education management overview for those who are new to the program.
- September 16 - PEIMS Extended Year resubmission due date for LEAs (if applicable)
- September 21 - R11 Charter Advisory Board Meeting
- September 22 - Tarrant County School Threat Assessment Training - Threat assessment training is now required for Texas public school districts and open-enrollment charter schools under SB11, and this session meets the training requirements under SB11.
- October 19 - R11 Charter Roundtable Meeting
- October 27 – 29 - 2021 Texas Charter Schools Conference at Hilton Anatole in Dallas, TX Registration NOW OPEN!
- November 18 - R11 Charter Roundtable Meeting
- November 30 - R11 Charter Advisory Board Meeting
- January 13 - R11 Charter Roundtable Meeting
- February 22 - R11 Charter Roundtable Meeting
- March 29 - R11 Charter Advisory Board Meeting
- April 19 - R11 Charter Roundtable Meeting
- June 14 - R11 Charter Advisory Board Meeting