Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath was to work on additional refinement of the ideas and potential state funding improvements.
School Health and Safety
Purpose and InformationProviding safe and secure campuses are a paramount priority for districts. The purpose of the School Safety Team at the Education Service Center Region 11 is to provide districts and schools with relevant trainings, technical assistance, and resources to improve all aspects of district and campus security.Region 11 strives to provide districts and charters with quality professional development, technical assistance, and resources related to the Coordinated School Health Model, including vision and hearing screening.Please contact us for more information about how we may assist your campus or district.Peggy DeMoss, 817-740-7529.
Safety and Security Audits
The current three-year school district safety and security audit cycle began on September 1, 2014, and ended on August 31, 2017. All ESC Region 11 school district safety and security audits required by TEC 37.108 were completed during that cycle. ESC Region 11 encourages districts to continue to conduct frequent safety and security audits on all of their facilities throughout the course of the next three years.
Safety and Security Hot Topics from Texas School and Safety CenterPrescription Drug Misuse: Consequences and Prevention
Human TraffickingTexas Mandated ReportingUnder Texas law:
Reports must be made to:Law enforcement, or Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS)The new human trafficking web page is on the TEA website. A training Power Point for districts and charter use is on this web page.Additional external resources:Human Trafficking: a Guide for Texas Education Professionals (developed by the Attorney General)Human Trafficking Power and Control (developed by PolarisWheel)More information about the School Safety Tracker App:The School Safety Tracker Plus App is a new resource provided to districts and campuses that offers a new way to track safety at the campus level. The features include:
- All individuals are required to report suspected abuse or neglect.
- Certain professionals, including teachers and nurses, are required to report suspected abuse or neglect within 48 hours.
- Your report cannot be delegated to a superior, administrator, or other individual.
Please contact us for more information about how we may assist your campus or district.Peggy DeMoss, 817-740-7529.
- School Safety Audit Tool - Allows personalized access for staff members to assist with safety audits of district facilities and meets the requirements of Texas Education Code 37.108.
- Emergency Operations Plans (EOP) - Allows districts and campuses to upload EOPs and have them readily available for use.
- Tracking of Emergency Drills - Immediate and accessible method for tracking recommended school safety drills including lockdown, building evacuation (fire), reverse evacuation, shelter in place and severe weather.
- Incident Reporting & Tracking System - Allows students, staff and parents to anonymously report bullying/safety incidents from their smart phones or the web to school administration. This includes 4 ways to report - upload a video, send a photo, send a test, or an email.