What is a Charter School?
A charter school is a type of public school. Charter schools provide education through a "charter," which is a type of contract granted by a chartering entity such as the commissioner of education, State Board of Education (SBOE), or the board of trustees of an independent school district.
Charter Home - Purpose and Definition
In 1995, the Texas Education Code established a new type of public school, known as a charter school. Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools with the idea of ensuring fiscal and academic accountability without undue regulation of instructional methods or pedagogical innovation. Like school districts, charter schools are monitored and accredited by the state.
According to the Texas Education Code, the purposes of charter schools are to:
- improve student learning;
- increase the choice of learning opportunities within the public school system;
- create professional opportunities that will attract new teachers to the public school system;
- establish a new form of accountability for public schools; and
- encourage different and innovative learning methods.
Connect! Network! Learn! - Newsletter
Get all your charter school information in the Smore link below! Find professional development opportunities, charter school meetings, guides to statutory trainings, and future plans for servicing charter schools - all provided by ESC Region 11 staff.
Charter Schools Newsletter LINK!
Upcoming Events for 2020-2021
- April 14 - Charter Roundtable Meeting at 10:30 a.m.
- April 21 - ESC Region 11 *Charter Exclusive* Understanding the "Why" & "How" in Serving English Learners in Charter Schools at 9:30 a.m.
- April 21 - TEA Charter School Superintendent Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- May 5 - TASA Meeting at 10:00 a.m.
- May 19 - TEA Charter School Superintendent Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- May 31 - Memorial Day Holiday (ESC Closed)
- June 10 - ESC Region 11 INSIGHT Instructional Advisory Meeting at 9:00 a.m.
- June 12 - ESC Region 11 Charter Job Fair "Virtual" TENTATIVE
- June 16 - Charter Schools Advisory Board meeting at 9:00 a.m.
- June 16 - TEA Charter School Superintendent Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- June 20 - National Charter School Conference
- June 29 - July 1 - TEA Charter School Summer Summit TENTATIVE
- July 5 - Independence Day Observation (ESC Closed)
- October 27 – 29 - 2021 Texas Charter Schools Conference at Hilton Anatole in Dallas, TX Registration NOW OPEN!