What is a Charter School?
A charter school is a type of public school. Charter schools provide education through a "charter," which is a type of contract granted by a chartering entity such as the commissioner of education, State Board of Education (SBOE), or the board of trustees of an independent school district.
Charter Home - Purpose and Definition
In 1995, the Texas Education Code established a new type of public school, known as a charter school. Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools with the idea of ensuring fiscal and academic accountability without undue regulation of instructional methods or pedagogical innovation. Like school districts, charter schools are monitored and accredited by the state.
According to the Texas Education Code, the purposes of charter schools are to:
- improve student learning;
- increase the choice of learning opportunities within the public school system;
- create professional opportunities that will attract new teachers to the public school system;
- establish a new form of accountability for public schools; and
- encourage different and innovative learning methods.
High School CyberStart America
Governor Greg Abbott has announced that Texas is partnering again with the SANS Institute in the CyberStart America Game, an innovative online cybersecurity game, formerly known as Girls Go CyberStart. The program, sponsored by the National Cyber Scholarship Foundation and the SANS Institute, is designed to encourage high school students to explore their aptitude for cybersecurity and computer science.
Complete details may be found at www.cyberstartamerica.org. The CyberStart Game began November 15, 2020, and concludes on April 4, 2021. Students may continue to register so long as they reach the National Cyber Scholarship Competition qualifying level in the Game by the cut-off date of March 8, 2021. Students will be informed that they qualify for the CyberStart National Scholarship Challenge Round as soon as they have achieved sufficient progress, but they are allowed to continue playing and learning in order to build more skills that will be useful to them in the National Scholarship Challenge. To see the types of challenges students will face in the games, visit https://go.cyberstart.com.
Connect! Network! Learn! - Newsletter
Get all your charter school information in the Smore link below! Find professional development opportunities, charter school meetings, guides to statutory trainings, and future plans for servicing charter schools - all provided by ESC Region 11 staff.
2020 Back to School Charter Schools Newsletter LINK!
Upcoming Events for 2020-2021
- January 13 - Charter Roundtable Meeting at 9:00 a.m.
- January 15 – TEA English Learner Support TETN for District and Charter School Bilingual/ESL Program Leaders
- January 16 – Charter School Board Training for New Board Members
- January 18 – MLK Holiday (ESC Closed)
- January 19 – Online Testing: Are You Ready?
- January 20 – TEA Charter School Superintendent Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- January 20 – Get TexQuest Out of Your Library and into the Classroom
- January 22 – Region 11 Special Education Director Collaboration
- January 23 – Charter School Board Training for New Board Members
- January 25-27 - 2021 TASA Midwinter Conference | Virtual on the Hopin Conference Platform
- January 27 – Mental Health First Aid (in proud partnership with MHMR)
- January 27 – CTE Director/Leader Meeting
- February 5 – Early Childhood Education Networking Meeting
- February 16– Introduction to Data Analysis vs. Data-Driven Instruction (DDI)
- February 17 - TEA Charter School Superintendent Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- February 17 - 3rd Annual 2021 Virtual Education Pathways Summit
- February 18 - ESC Region 11 INSIGHT Instructional Advisory Meeting at 9:00 a.m.
- February 19 - Region 11 Special Education Director Collaboration
- February 24 - Charter Roundtable Meeting at 9:00 a.m.
- March 1 - ESC Region 11 STEAM Carnival
- March 3 - TASA Meeting at 10:00 a.m.
- March 4 - Coping through COVID with Distress Tolerance Skills
- March 5 – TEA English Learner Support TETN for District and Charter School Bilingual/ESL Program Leaders
- March 24 - TEA Charter School Superintendent Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- March 31 - Charter Schools Advisory Board meeting at 9:00 a.m.
- April 2 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day for ESC
- April 7 - TASA Meeting at 10:00 a.m.
- April 14 - Charter Roundtable Meeting at 9:00 a.m. TENTATIVE
- April 21 - TEA Charter School Superintendent Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- May 5 - TASA Meeting at 10:00 a.m.
- May 19 - TEA Charter School Superintendent Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- May 31 - Memorial Day Holiday (ESC Closed)
- June 10 - ESC Region 11 INSIGHT Instructional Advisory Meeting at 9:00 a.m.
- June 16 - Charter Schools Advisory Board meeting at 9:00 a.m. TENTATIVE
- June 16 - TEA Charter School Superintendent Meeting at 1:00 p.m.
- July 5 - Independence Day Observation (ESC Closed)
- July/August - ESC Region 11 2021 Charter Schools Conference TENTATIVE
- October 27 – 29 - 2021 Texas Charter Schools Conference at Hilton Anatole in Dallas, TX