What is a Charter School?
A charter school is a type of public school. Charter schools provide education through a "charter," which is a type of contract granted by a chartering entity such as the commissioner of education, State Board of Education (SBOE), or the board of trustees of an independent school district.
Charter Home - Purpose and Definition
In 1995, Texas Education Code established a new type of public school, known as a charter school. Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools with the idea of ensuring fiscal and academic accountability without undue regulation of instructional methods or pedagogical innovation. Like school districts, charter schools are monitored and accredited by the state.
According to the Texas Education Code, the purposes of charter schools are to:
- improve student learning;
- increase the choice of learning opportunities within the public school system;
- create professional opportunities that will attract new teachers to the public school system;
- establish a new form of accountability for public schools; and
- encourage different and innovative learning methods.
Coming to ESC Region 11 August 6, 2020!
ESC Region 11 will be hosting a one-day conference specifically designed for CHARTER SCHOOLS! This professional development opportunity will be jam-packed with successful key practices in the areas of high-performing faculty and staff, data-driven instruction, strong instructional leadership, and so much more.
Save the date and incorporate this day into your back-to-school professional development for you entire charter school learning community! For more information, clink on the link below.
Connect! Network! Learn! - Newsletter
Get all your charter school information in the smore link below! Find professional development opportunities, charter school meetings, guides to statutory trainings, and future plans for servicing charter schools - all provided by ESC Region 11 staff.
Charter Newsletter LINK!
TEA Division of Charter School Administration TETN Update for ESC Charter Schools from February 11th.
- High Quality Campus Designation, CSP Grant, and Expansion Amendment Process
- Academic Accountability Update
- Charter School Safety Requirements Update
- Do Not Hire Registry
- Charter School Performance Framework Update
- Charter Generation 25 Application Update
- Charter School Summer Summit 2020
- Common Application and Charter School Waitlist
Questions about the Annual Governance Reporting Form for Charter Schools?
The link above will take you directly to TEA's page that contains information about the Annual Governance Reporting Form as well as training for board members and officers!
April 1 - TASA meeting at ESC Region 11, 10:00-11:30 a.m. TENTATIVE
- Charter Schools Roundtable Meeting (via Zoom), 12:30 p.m.
April 7 - "Stop the Bleed" trainings at ESC Region 11, 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. and Noon -2:00 p.m.
April 16 - Denton County Counselor Cluster, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
May 6 - TASA meeting at ESC Region 11, 10:00-11:30 a.m.
June 11 - InSight, Instructional Leaders Advisory Meeting at ESC Region 11
June 29 - July 1 - Charter School Summer Summit in Georgetown, TX
August 6 - ESC Region 11 Charter School Conference: The Power of Partnerships at ESC Region 11, Time - TBD