What is a Charter School?
A charter school is a type of public school. Charter schools provide education through a "charter," which is a type of contract granted by a chartering entity such as the commissioner of education, State Board of Education (SBOE), or the board of trustees of an independent school district.
Charter Home - Purpose and Definition
In 1995, the Texas Education Code established a new type of public school known as a charter school. Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools with the idea of ensuring fiscal and academic accountability without undue regulation of instructional methods or pedagogical innovation. Like school districts, charter schools are monitored and accredited by the state.
According to the Texas Education Code, the purposes of charter schools are to:
- improve student learning;
- increase the choice of learning opportunities within the public school system;
- create professional opportunities that will attract new teachers to the public school system;
- establish a new form of accountability for public schools; and
- encourage different and innovative learning methods.
Texas Education Code, Chapter 12
Charter school administrators should become familiar with the laws that apply to charter schools. Chapter 12 of the TEC (outside source) discusses many, but not all, charter school issues. Subchapter D of Chapter 12 is specific to open-enrollment charter schools; Subchapter E of Chapter 12 is specific to university charter schools.
Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 100
The TAC contains rules adopted by the State Board of Education (SBOE) and the commissioner of education. The SBOE and the commissioner of education may adopt new rules or amendments to existing rules. Title 19 TAC, Chapter 100, is the primary source of rules that apply to open-enrollment charter schools.
Region 11 Charter Schools Professional Development Needs?
Charter Schools - You have a voice at ESC Region 11!
Help us shape your charter school needs by completing the survey below that will provide us with valuable input about your charter school needs!
Upcoming Events & Deadlines for 2021-2022
- March 1 - Charter Expansion Amendment window closes
- March 1 - TASA Meetings at ESC
- March 2 - ESC R11 Assistant Principal Leadership Collaborative
- March 2 - 2021-2022 School Report Cards distribution to parents deadline
- March 7 - ESC R11 Technology Leadership Academy
- March 7 - TEA's CSPF Overall Rating and Tiering Engagement Session Opportunity #1
- March 14 - TEA's CSPF Overall Rating and Tiering Engagement Session Opportunity #2
- March 20 - Teacher Leadership Fellowship (TLF) Application due
- March 23 - TPCSA's Suicidal Safety & Intervening Early at 10AM
- March 23 - TPCSA's A Holistic Approach to ELL Education at 1PM
- March 24 - ESC R11 New Counselor Cohort Series Spring 2022
- March 28 - TEA's Operator Council - Small (Single Campus Operators) at 11AM
- March 30 - TEA's Operator Council - Medium (2 to 5 Campuses) at 10AM
- March 30 - TEA's Operator Council - Large (6 or More Campuses) at 1PM
- March 31 - Request for an Indirect Cost Rate for Charter Schools for 2023–2024 due
- April 4 - TPCSA's Join Forces to Support Students with Disabilities at 10AM
- April 5 - TASA Meetings at ESC
- April 13 - ESC R11 Assistant Principal Leadership Collaborative
- April 14 - TPCSA's Maintenance of Effort Requirements for IDEA-B at 10AM
- April 15 - Campus Number Request - TEA to send the "All In One" form to new campuses opening (complete & make a Campus # Request)
- April 18 - Charter School Roundtable Meeting
- April 18 - TEA's Using CSPF for Decision Making: Amendments
- April 20 - ESC R11 Technology Leadership Academy
- April 21 - ESC R11 New Counselor Cohort Series Spring 2022
- May 3 - TASA Meetings at ESC
- May 16 - TEA's Using CSPF for Decision Making: Renewal/Revocation
- May 16 - ESC R11 Technology Leadership Academy
- June 2 - 2022-2023 School Health Survey due
- June 9 - Indirect cost rate notification letters posted in GFFC Reports and Data Collections, accessible through TEAL.
- June 13 - TEA's CSPF Initial Draft and Feedback
- June 19-22 - 2023 National Charter Schools Conference by the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools in Austin
- July 1 - Certificate of Occupancy Request and Campus Verification - TEA will send the "All In One" form to new campuses opening to complete a Certificate of Occupancy
- July 26 - TEA's CSPF Final Draft and Feedback
- August 1 - 2022-2025 School Safety Standards Formula Grant application due (extended deadline)
- September 25-27 - Texas Public Charter Schools Association "Painting a Brighter Future" Conference
- Call for presentations deadline: March 24, 2023
- Proposers notified of status/acceptance: May 1, 2023
- Deadline for accepted presenters to confirm acceptance: May 8, 2023
- Deadline for accepted presenters to upload headshots, bios, and presentation: August 4, 2023