What is a Charter School?
A charter school is a type of public school. Charter schools provide education through a "charter," which is a type of contract granted by a chartering entity such as the commissioner of education, State Board of Education (SBOE), or the board of trustees of an independent school district.
Charter Home - Purpose and Definition
In 1995, the Texas Education Code established a new type of public school, known as a charter school. Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools with the idea of ensuring fiscal and academic accountability without undue regulation of instructional methods or pedagogical innovation. Like school districts, charter schools are monitored and accredited by the state.
According to the Texas Education Code, the purposes of charter schools are to:
- improve student learning;
- increase the choice of learning opportunities within the public school system;
- create professional opportunities that will attract new teachers to the public school system;
- establish a new form of accountability for public schools; and
- encourage different and innovative learning methods.
TCLAS Application and Decision Point Support
Need more Information about the TCLAS Application? Region 11 is here to support you!
Please do not hesitate to reach out to the following ESC Region 11 Contacts for their assistance for a particular Decision Point:
- Decision Point 1 - LEA Accelerated Learning Strategic Planning - Kelli Crain
- Decision Point 2 & 3 - HQMI Products - Susan Laird
- Decision Point 4 - Teacher Recruitment Support - Kayce Hale
- Decision Point 5 - Residency Program Support - Lance Silva
- Decision Point 6 - Tutoring Support - Sharon Wittsche
- Decision Point 7 - School Day/Calendar Design - Ashely Lay
- Decision Point 8 - Strong Summer Program - Vicki Arrington
- Decision Point 9 - P-TECH - Lisa Harrision
- Decision Point 10 - New School Models - Carey Carter
If you have selected the areas of the TCLAS application you wish to apply for, but you need some individualized support, sign up for one (or more) of our many virtual Office Hours Support meetings to receive one-on-one assistance from an ESC specialist.
Link to Sign Up for Individual Support:
Have you completed TEA’s survey to indicate your interest in TCLAS supports?
Link to TEA’s TCLAS interest survey:
Deadline: August 20, 2021
For more information, contact: Dr. Cathy Sewell, Deputy Executive Director for Instructional Services firstname.lastname@example.org or 817-740-3670
Connect! Network! Learn! - Newsletter
Get all your charter school information in the Smore link below! Find professional development opportunities, charter school meetings, guides to statutory trainings, and future plans for servicing charter schools - all provided by ESC Region 11 staff.
Charter Schools Newsletter LINK!
Upcoming Events & Deadlines for 2021-2022
- General - Preliminary Charter FIRST ratings issued; charters my appeal ratings within 30 days of the date preliminary ratings are issued
- August 26 - PEIMS Extended Year first submission due date for LEAs (if applicable)
- August 31 -Charter School Tracking System (CSTS) application due
- August 31 -CTE Leadership Academy - Come Grow with Me This session provides a Career and Technical Education management overview for those who are new to the program
- September 13 - Charter School Waitlist ready for users to promote data
- September 16 - PEIMS Extended Year resubmission due date for LEAs (if applicable)
- September 21 - R11 Charter Advisory Board Meeting
- September 22 - Tarrant County School Threat Assessment Training - Threat assessment training is now required for Texas public school districts and open-enrollment charter schools under SB11, and this session meets the training requirements under SB11
- September 24 - Charter School Waitlist snapshot date
- September 24 - Charter School Waitlist ready for users to complete
- October 19 - R11 Charter Roundtable Meeting
- October 29 - Charter School Waitlist submission due
- October 27 – 29 - 2021 Texas Charter Schools Conference at Hilton Anatole in Dallas, TX Registration NOW OPEN!
- General - Final Charter FIRST ratings issued after appeals; Public hearing must be held within 2 months of receipt
- November 1 - Newly Open Charter Schools: 2021-2022 SC5050 form due to TEA (to request ESSA and/or IDEA-B funding to be received 2021-2022 and/or request an Indirect Cost Rate for FY22)
- November 1 - Existing Charter Schools: 2021-2022 SC5050 form (optional) for Significant Expansion due to TEA (to request additional ESSA and/or IDEA-B funding to be received 2021-2022 and/or request an Indirect Cost Rate for FY22)
- November 18 - R11 Charter Roundtable Meeting
- November 30 - R11 Charter Advisory Board Meeting
- General - Charter holder must file audit report disclosing all management company loans
- December 1 - Governance Report due to TEA
- December 1 - Bank Depository Contract due
- January 1 - Expansion Amendments window opens
- January 13 - R11 Charter Roundtable Meeting
- January 31 - Existing Charter Schools: 2021-2022 SC5050 form (optional) for Significant Expansion due to TEA (to request additional ESSA and/or IDEA-B funding to be received 2022-2023 based on significant expansion experienced in 2021-2022)
- February 22 - R11 Charter Roundtable Meeting
- General - Request for an Indirect Cost Rate for Charter Schools for 2022-2023 survey due to TEA
- March 1 - Expansion Amendments window closes
- March 29 - R11 Charter Advisory Board Meeting
- April 19 - R11 Charter Roundtable Meeting
- June 14 - R11 Charter Advisory Board Meeting