What is a Charter School?
A charter school is a type of public school. Charter schools provide education through a "charter," which is a type of contract granted by a chartering entity such as the commissioner of education, State Board of Education (SBOE), or the board of trustees of an independent school district.
Charter Home - Purpose and Definition
In 1995, the Texas Education Code established a new type of public school, known as a charter school. Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools with the idea of ensuring fiscal and academic accountability without undue regulation of instructional methods or pedagogical innovation. Like school districts, charter schools are monitored and accredited by the state.
According to the Texas Education Code, the purposes of charter schools are to:
- improve student learning;
- increase the choice of learning opportunities within the public school system;
- create professional opportunities that will attract new teachers to the public school system;
- establish a new form of accountability for public schools; and
- encourage different and innovative learning methods.
Texas Education Code, Chapter 12
Charter school administrators should become familiar with the laws that apply to charter schools. Chapter 12 of the TEC (outside source) discusses many, but not all, charter school issues. Subchapter D of Chapter 12 is specific to open-enrollment charter schools; Subchapter E of Chapter 12 is specific to university charter schools.
Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 100
The TAC contains rules adopted by the State Board of Education (SBOE) and the commissioner of education. The SBOE and the commissioner of education may adopt new rules or amendments to existing rules. Title 19 TAC, Chapter 100 is the primary source of rules that apply to open-enrollment charter schools.
Upcoming Events & Deadlines for 2021-2022
- June 7-8 - Child Nutrition 2022 Summer Circus Spectacular Conference This annual conference offers professional development and continuing education hours for child nutrition personnel. Please click here for our Summer Conference Sessions Guide to view the course descriptions.
- June 7-9 - Connecting, Collaborating, and Capturing! Summer Synergy Conference
- June 8 - Principal, Instructional Coach, and Teacher Virtual Institute on NEW 2023 STAAR Questions and Writing TPCSA
- June 10 - Physical Fitness Assessment
- June 13-14 - Safe and Civil Schools CHAMPS: A Proactive and Positive Approach to Classroom Management
- June 14 - R11 Charter Advisory Board Meeting
- June 15 - Leveraging Canvas Conference Summer 2022 (online)
- June 15 - Principal and Teacher Surveys for Evaluating Educator Preparation Programs and Teacher Effectiveness due
- June 19-22 - The National Charter Schools Conference (NCSC) in Washington DC
- June 20 - Standards-Based Individualized Education Program (IEP) Process Training
- June 21 - Bilingual and ESL Summer Extravaganza
- June 23 - Ignite Early Childhood Conference 2022: Lighting the Way
- June 23 - 2022 Speech-Language Pathology Summer Conference
- June 23 - TEA Superintendents Call
- June 23 - Standards-Based Individualized Education Program (IEP) Process Training for Administrators
- June 28-29 - DMAC Academy (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 registrations)
- June 28 - 2(pi)@r11 PK-12 Mathematics Conference
- June 29 - The Gun-Free Schools (GFS) Report for 2021-2022 due
- June 30 - Universal Breakfast participation waiver request due
- June 30 - Food Safety (Health) Inspection Results due
- June 30 - Standards-Based Individualized Education Program (IEP) Process Training
- July 11-12 - Special Programs Summer Conference 2022: Recharge: Jump Start Your School
- July 14 - Standards-Based Individualized Education Program (IEP) Process Training for Administrators
- July 21 - TEA Superintendents Call
- July 22 - Texas Reading Initiative Conference: Literacy Connects Us to The World
- July 25 - Prioritizing Excellence Conference
- July 28 - State Performance Plan Indicators 11 and 12
- July 29 - RF Tracker
- August 4 - Standards-Based Individualized Education Program (IEP) Process Training for Administrators
- August 12 - State Performance Plan Indicator 13 and 7
- August 31 - Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA) Reimbursement Collection
- September 26-28 - "TXCharter Con22 Rising to the Challenge" Annual Texas Charter Conference hosted by TPCSA - only Charter Conference in Texas!