2023 Outstanding School Board Named — Press Release
PRESS RELEASE | Download a PDF
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 5, 2023
Crowley ISD Wins Regional School Board Award
(White Settlement, TX). The Crowley ISD school board has been selected as the 2023 Region 11 (north central Texas) winner of the School Board Awards program, sponsored by the Texas Association of School Administrators (TASA).
A panel of local school superintendents selected Crowley ISD’s board as the Region 11 representative for this prestigious awards program, and the board’s application has now been forwarded to TASA to be considered for the state-level award. The award, created by TASA in 1971, was designed to recognize those school boards that have demonstrated outstanding dedication and have rendered ethical service to the children of Texas. The criteria emphasize evidence of support for the improvement of educational performance.
The application process involves creating a digital booklet of information and documentation that address the following topics related to board activities:
• Functions as a policy-making body
• Adherence to adopted board policies
• Support for educational performance in accordance with state-established standards
• Support for educational improvement projects and school transformation initiatives
• Commitment to a code of ethics
• Provision of financial support for the school system
• Participation in workshops and other performance-improvement programs
• Placement of the welfare of children served by the school system above personal or political motives
• Public relations efforts, including community awareness
• Maintenance of harmonious and supportive relationships among board members
To participate in this awards program, school superintendents must nominate their school board and submit the application to their regional education service center. The selection panel, which is comprised of area school district superintendents, evaluates the applications received and rates how well each applicant addressed the 10 areas of focus.
Crowley ISD’s school board will now join 19 other boards from across Texas that will be considered for the state award. The TASA selection committee will review all 20 regional entries and announce five finalists on July 5. These finalists, designated as “Honor Boards,” will then be interviewed by the state selection committee, and the state winner will be named the “Texas Outstanding School Board” for 2023. All five boards will be recognized at the TASA/TASB Convention in September.
Any Texas superintendent who is a member of TASA and has been serving as the district superintendent since July 1, 2021, may nominate his or her school board for this award.
Region 11 is one of 20 education service center regions in the state. It covers 10 counties in north central Texas that include 76 traditional public school districts and 90 charter school campuses.