Special Education for Charter Schools
New Charter School Orientation
Administrators for new charter schools and those new to charter schools must view the information provided under the strand headings below before the charter school opens.Others interested in operating a charter school may also wish to view the resources:What is a Charter SchoolA charter school is a type of public school. Charter schools provide education through a "charter," which is a type of contract granted by a chartering entity such as the commissioner of education, State Board of Education (SBOE), or the board of trustees of an independent school district.Charter Home - Purpose and DefinitionIn 1995, Texas Education Code established a new type of public school, known as a charter school. Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools with the idea of ensuring fiscal and academic accountability without undue regulation of instructional methods or pedagogical innovation. Like school districts, charter schools are monitored and accredited by the state.According to the Texas Education Code, the purposes of charter schools are to:
- improve student learning;
- increase the choice of learning opportunities within the public school system;
- create professional opportunities that will attract new teachers to the public school system;
- establish a new form of accountability for public schools; and
- encourage different and innovative learning methods.
TEA YouTube video that explains the Texas Accountability System. The final version is now posted on the TEA YouTube Channel: http://youtu.be/cbEgrdijuc8.
Helpful Links for Charter School Special Education Personnel
- Individualized Education Program (IEP) Annual Goal Development - IEP Q&A
Updated November 2015
- Individualized Education Program (IEP) Annual Goal Development - IEP Q & A
(Spanish/Español) Updated November 17, 2015
- Dear Colleague Letter 11/16/2015 Topic: FAPE
Highlighting added for emphasis.
Consultant - Special Education Leadership, Charter Schools(817) 740-7577
- Legal Framework-Login
- The Council for Educators for Students with Disabilities, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children
- List of Charter Schools
LRE - Q&A