TWU Statewide Distance Venue Speech-Language Pathology Master's Degree Program

  • Texas Women's University, ESC Region 11, several school districts, and TEA are collaborating on a special project that will help address the shortage of fully licensed speech-language pathologists in Texas schools. Through this project, participants may earn a master’s degree in speech-language pathology through the Statewide Distance Venue (formally known as TETN) and online courses. ESC Region 11 provides the participants with the Distance Learning Venue, a class monitor who is an ASHA-certified speech-language pathologist, and a project coordinator.

    TWU Master’s Program for Speech-Language Pathology Distance Learning Program (formally known as TETN) is designed to allow students to work in the schools as a licensed assistant while completing the requirements for the master's degree in speech-language pathology. This learning venue is supported in part by a grant from the Texas Education Agency and provides training opportunities for candidates who wish to practice speech-language pathology in the schools of Texas. Successful completion of the program prepares graduates to apply for Texas licensure in speech pathology and for ASHA certification.

    In order to address the extreme shortage of bilingual Speech-Language Pathologists, an SLP Bilingual Certificate Option is offered for bilingual students accepted into Cycle 10. Candidates who do not wish to work in Texas schools are not eligible for admission to this program. Details may be found at TWU’s SLP Master’s Program – Distance Venue Information.

    If you are an "out of field" interested candidate (your bachelor's degree is in a field other than speech pathology), please read more detailed information on TWU's Prerequisite Program.

    How long does it take to get your master’s degree through the distance venue program?
    If you are in the field (you have a Bachelor’s Degree in Speech-Language Pathology or Communication Disorders) it takes 24 months. If you are out of the field (your bachelor’s degree in a field other than Speech-Language Pathology or Communication Disorders), you must take seven courses before applying (more details will be given in the information meeting for out-of-field candidates).
    How do the classes work in the distance venue?
    Classes are taught via videoconference on Tuesday afternoons at ESC Region 11 and through a webinar format on Thursday afternoons. The hours are 4:30-7:30 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters. The summer class hours are longer.
    Do I have to attend an informational meeting to apply to the distance venue?
    Yes, if you plan to apply to the program, the meeting is mandatory, and you must stay for the entire meeting. Your attendance is tracked and cross-referenced with your application.
    What are the practicum hours?
    While seeking your Master’s in Speech Pathology there are two main learning components: academic coursework and practicum (therapy with individuals). You will learn more about this at the information meeting.
    How do I get my practicum hours?
    In the distance venue program, you are required to obtain sponsorship from a school district. Your full acceptance to the program is provisionally based on having this sponsorship from a school district (detailed information will be discussed in the information meetings).
    What about application deadlines?
    These will be announced in the information meetings.
    Is the degree a Master of Science or a Master of Arts?
    It is a Master of Science degree. It is a very rigorous program with coursework that requires many hours of study outside of class time.

    Rebecca George, M.S., CCC/SLP
    SLP Master’s Regional Consultant
    1451 South Cherry Lane
    White Settlement, Texas 76108
    (817) 740-7567