A school district may contract for residential placement when the student’s admission, review, and dismissal (ARD) committee determines that a residential placement is necessary in order for the student to receive a free appropriate public education (19 §TAC 89.61). A district that intends to contract for residential placement shall notify the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and, if applicable, request approval of state and federal funding through the residential application process. A residential application may be submitted for educational purposes only.
When a student who is residentially placed by a district changes his/her residence to another Texas school district, and the student continues in the contracted placement, the district which negotiated the contract shall be responsible for the residential contract for the remainder of the school year.
- Fiscal period for 2014-2015 applications is August 1, 2014 – July 31, 2015*(see note below in bold font)
- Approval dates determined by date TEA receives the application (not the ESC stamped receipt date as years past).
- 2014-2015 effective dates for approved applications
- Application is received at TEA by November 1st
- Approval effective August 1st (or the date of placement if the placement is after August 1st)
- Application is received at TEA after November 1st
- Approval effective the date of placement if the application is received at TEA within 30 school days of ARD decision; or
- Approval effective the date of TEA receipt if received more than 30 school days after the ARD decision
- There are new forms to use when amending application. Directions are on page 1 of the amendment application.
*2013-2014 IDEA-B Discretionary Residential applications must exhaust prior year funding through August 31, 2014 prior to requesting current year funding (previous period ran from September 1 through August 31). Districts may submit applications for the 2014-2015 school year but should draw down all 2013-2014 funds prior to requesting cash reimbursements from their 2014-2015 IDEA-B Discretionary Residential NOGAs.
School districts must request the application packet from their ESC.